Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sounds of Summer.

Summer is coming to a close. It has successfully sunkissed my skin and left my coats with a leftover campfire smell. It has been wonderful, but in an unexpected, unimagined kind of way.

If you asked me a couple years ago what I'd imagine my first summer back from the mission to be like it wouldn't have come close to describing this summer for a variety of different reasons. Life has a way of taking its own course. It forges its way through your unmet expectations and hollow dreams creating a much more beautiful path.

So in honor of Summer 2015 here is a list. It is of some things I've learned, some things I've done, and some sounds of summer that will forever be a part of me.

- I've learned to love the law thanks for an extremely challenging but surprisingly rewarding Media, Ethics, and the Law class
- I've learned the importance of defending the family
- I've learned to appreciate some of the greatest works of literature as I've read the Iliad, the Odyssey, and other classics for my history class
- I've gained a greater appreciation for the city of Provo in which I live, such as its rooftop concerts, summer fairs, weekly farmer markets, etc.
- I've developed a deep love for Provo Canyon and the left over glow the sun leaves on squaw peak in the evenings
- I've come to love other canyons in Utah that I had never ventured up before, such as Spanish Fork and Big Cottonwood
- I fell in love with the green openness complemented by the quaint small town feel of Wyoming
- I met new people whose stories and experiences have impacted mine and have given me courage
- I've learned to appreciate a good firework show
- I've grown closer to my family, both immediate and extended. How fun it's been to spend time with my cousins.
- I've learned once again that writing music helps me to express what words by themselves cannot
- I grew to love to slackline, even though I still am learning
- Outdoor summer concerts have stolen my heart
- I developed a deep appreciation for rivers, in part because of my river recreation class that has taught me so much
- I reopened my heart to the Gilmore girls, love them
- I've begun to love summer dresses more than ever before

While I could go on and on, but I think you get the feel. This summer has had a beautiful sound. The summer sun has defrosted my layers of worry and stress and I hope that the autumn warmth can keep them off long enough to last me through the school year. There is just something special about summer. I hope you feel that way too.

xoxo Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment